Innovation 90 is helping organizations tackle challenges like...
- Creating patient engagement incentives to improve chronic care within a Medicare ACO
- Providing a psych EHR to enhance population health strategies and efficiency in communication of care (without meaningful use dollars)
- Attracting Millennials to preventive care
- Consolidating into central registration with kiosks for 40+ clinics and outpatient sites
- Developing an ED Virtual Wait Room App to improve the patient ED experience
- Improving the accuracy of respiratory therapy consults
Here are a few examples of the successes that have been achieved.
Hospital Develops New Capacity Management System
Cuts Frequency of Inpatient Overcapacity from 50 Percent to 10 Percent
A community hospital in the Washington, D.C., metro area was experiencing continual inpatient overcapacity issues that caused boarding problems and backup in the emergency department and post-anesthesia care unit. The hospital’s capacity-alert approach depended on the nursing bed manager and night house supervisors monitoring the capacity situation and alerting hospital management using a red-light system.
Unfortunately, the overcapacity situations seemed to recur quickly and everyone felt that the capacity-alert method was inadequate.
Download the full case study to learn how a team from the hospital participating in the AHA Innovation 90 program designed a new capacity management system that dramatically reduced its overcapacity problems.
Ready to find out more?
Academic Medical Center Creates an Innovative Syringe
Enables Surgeons to Accurately Dose Patients While Using a Cystoscope
The Department of Urology at an academic medical center focused on a problem with dosing patients while using a cystoscope and syringe. Its design challenge: How do you safely deliver multiple doses of injection drugs to patients while keeping your eyes on the site through the scope? You can’t easily look down at the syringe to visually measure the dose, so how can you improve the dosing?
Through the use of an integrated team, design thinking and prototyping, the medical center’s AHA Innovation 90 team developed a new syringe that quickly solved the problem. Learn the whole story in the case study.